Q100282: What is login-based licensing and which products is it available for?
This article explains what login based licensing is and which products it is available for. This also contains links to other useful information.
What is Login-based Licensing?
Login based licensing is our new licensing solution for Modo with Maintenance, Modo Subscription and Mari Individual Subscription. With login-based licenses the entitlement to run Modo or Mari is tied to your account on the Foundry website rather than to a specific machine. These licenses allow you to easily activate or deactivate the program on different machines depending on where you need to use the software, provided you have an active internet connection.
The way login-based licensing works is as follows
- When you activate your license on a machine, a 30 day nodelocked RLM license is installed.
- When you run the program again, if it has an internet connection, it will connect to the website to check it is still valid and then get a new 30 day license.
- As long as you connect to the internet at least every 30 days you can keep running the program for the duration of your subscription or indefinitely for Modo with Maintenance.
- When you "Log Out" or "Deactivate" the program it tells the website the machine has been deactivated and removes the license. You can then activate it on another machine.
NOTE: If you go for longer than 30 days without connecting to the internet then the local Modo or Mari license on the machine will expire. As soon as you reconnect to the internet and run the program again it will get a new license which will be valid for a further 30 days.
NOTE: Although you do not need to be connected to the internet to use your Login-based license, you will need to have an active network device. The SystemID that the 30 day license is tied to is the primary MAC address of the machine, if the network card or wifi card is disabled then the SystemID may change and the license may not be valid. Reactivating the network or wifi card will make the license valid again.
Which Programs is it available for?
At present login-based licensing is available for Modo with Maintenance, Modo Subscription and Mari Individual Subscription. We are investigating the possibility of offering other products on subscription in future.
More information about Modo Subscription and Modo Maintenance is available at:
More information about Mari Individual Subscription is available at:
Please see the following articles for detailed instructions on how to use your login-based licenses:
- Q100283: How to activate a Login-based or Subscription License
- Q100284: How to deactivate a Modo Subscription or Modo with Maintenance License
- Q100285: Troubleshooting Login-based Licensing
- Q100286: How to manage your login-based licenses