Q100039: Restoring a Mari project from a backup
Project corruptions can have various reasons and are most often caused by interaction over the network or changes in the folder structure of your project (possibly inflicted by disk cleanup tools).
The consequence is that after mid-project your Mari archive will stop to open even though it used to work before.
This article explains how restore your project from from an automatically generated backup file located in your project directory, however please be careful and always make sure to backup the affected project before following each step precisely.
- Start Mari
- Hover you mouse over the affected project in the project tab until the tooltip pops up
- Write down the first 4 digits of the UUID
- Close Mari - very important! If Mari is open during the next steps, irreversible project corruptions can occur.
- Open a file browser and navigate to your project directory
- You will see a number of folders each with long hash names - those are your projects - it should look something like:
- Select the folder that starts with the UUID of your affected project (noted down earlier) and copy it to a save location (backup purposes)
- Now open the folder that starts with the UUID noted earlier (the one in the project directory, not the copy)
You should see something like:
- Rename Project.mri to Project.OLD
- Rename Project.mri.bak to Project.mri
- Now start Mari again and attempt to open your archive
Keywords: Mari, backup, restore
We're sorry to hear that!Please tell us why.