Floating/server licenses enable any machine on the same network as a license server to run an application. In order for the floating license to work license server software needs to run on the server machine.
The Foundry Licensing Utility (FLU) 8.0 makes this easy for you by giving you the ability to install and uninstall server tools directly from the FLU without requiring an additional download.
NOTE: You only need to install the server tools on the license server machine. These aren't needed for node-locked licenses or for machines that get their license from the license server.
PLEASE NOTE: To ensure the license server runs on the correct port we recommend installing the server tools AFTER installing a floating/server license. If you install the tools first and can't get the server to run then please try uninstalling and reinstalling the Server Tools.
Installing Server Tools from FLU GUI:
The simplest way to install the Server Tools is to launch the installer directly from the FLU:
- Open the FLU and click License Server > Install.
- Follow the on-screen prompts regarding advice about machine suitability and then click on Launch to run the the server tools installer.
- When the process is complete, click Installed to confirm to the FLU that the server is installed. Your license server should now be up and running.
- Make a note of the server details on the Connecting to this License Server panel, you can then use them to point other machines on your network to the License Server.
Detailed step-by-step instructions are also available at Licensing Online User Guide - Installing the Server Tools
For more information about licensing please see the Foundry Licensing Online Help
The Support Portal has articles on installing different license types:
- Q100026: How to install a nodelocked license
- Q100027: How to install a floating license
- Q100264: How to point a machine to your RLM license server
- Q100105: Diagnosing License Problems
We're sorry to hear thatPlease tell us why