Q100221: How to float some of your RLM licenses from another server on your network
SUMMARYThis article explains how you can use the RLM server's inbuilt transfer functionality to temporarily transfer a set of licenses from your main server to another machine on your network so they can be floated from there.
This can be useful if you are floating a large number of licenses and wish to balance the load between more than one server or if you want to keep a small number of licenses available for a group of users on a separate project in a remote office.
- You want to use a small subset of your licenses for a project in a remote office that is connected to your main network
- You have a very large number of licenses and would like to use another server to share the load of license requests to avoid over taxing your original server.
- Set up the transfer using the instructions in the RLM End User Guide. For example you may want to transfer half of your render licenses to a second server.
- Instruct your client machines to look at both servers by either creating multiple client license files or by setting the following environment variable:
(where "orginalServer" is the hostname or IP address of the main license server and "transferServer" is the hostname or IP address of the second transfer server)
- By default the client machines will contact the servers in the order that they appear in the foundry_LICENSE variable or that they find the client license files. You can randomise which server is contacted first by setting another environment variable called RLM_PATH_RANDOMIZE, this should help balance the load of license requests between the original and transfer server. The variable just needs to exist and have a value so you can set the following:
RLM_PATH_RANDOMIZE = 1
Please see Q100015: How To Set Environment Variables for guidance on setting environment variables.
Alternatively you could set half of your client machines to look at the original server and half to look at the transfer server but the advantage of the setup above is that all the client machines can still look at the original server so they will still be able to get licenses when they are returned from the transfer server.
We're sorry to hear thatPlease tell us why