Q100027: How to install a floating license
This article illustrates how you can install and use floating RLM and FLEXlm licences from the Foundry. This covers both how to install and run the licences on the server machine and how to connect the other machines on your network to the license server so they can use the licenses. Note that these other machines are referred to as "client machines" in licensing terminology.
On the server side, you will need to install the Foundry License Tools (FLT) on your server machine and install the license keys using the Foundry License Utility (FLU). On the client side, you can install the license using the FLU or the Product License Dialog.
This article is relevant for Nuke, Mari, Hiero, Ocula, Collectives and RLM Modo licenses as part of a Collective.
NOTE: Instructions on how to activate login-based licenses for Modo 11 (Modo Subscription or Modo with Maintenance) can be found in Q100283: How to activate a Login-based or Subscription License
NOTE: If you purchased Modo 10 series or earlier on its own then please see Q100139: How to Install a Legacy MODO License
OSX and Windows
- Download and install the Foundry License Tools (FLT)
- Run the FoundryLicenseUtility as an admin user.
- On OSX this will be installed to Applications > The Foundry > Licensing Tools 7.1.
- On Windows, from the Start menu, navigate to All Programs > The Foundry > FLT 7.1v1 then right click on the "Foundry License Utility" and select "Run As Administrator".
- Either drag and drop the license file or copy and paste the full license key text in to the 'License Install' tab of the FLU. The FLU should report that the license was successfully installed and list the location(s) where it is saved.
- The FLU will ask if you wish to start or restart the RLM/FLEXlm server. Please click Yes.
- Download the Foundry License Tools (FLT)
- Unzip the download and run the install.sh script in unzippped FLT directory, this will install the tools on the machine.
- Open a terminal and run the following commands as a Root user or with sudo to install the license file on disk:
./FoundryLicenseUtility -l /path/to/foundry.lic
(Where /path/to/foundry.lic is the full path to where you've downloaded your floating licence file)
- The FLU will ask if you wish to start or restart the RLM/FLEXlm server. Please enter Yes and hit return.
1. Download the product installer for your platform and install it.
2. Launch the product.
NOTE: On Windows please launch the product as administrator by using the right click context menu option 'Run as administrator' to install your license to the correct directory.
3. The licensing dialog will appear when the program fails to find a license. Select 'Install License' then select 'Use Server'.
5. Click Launch to launch the product
The Foundry License Utility (FLU) will verify a license for you and install it to the correct location(s) on your machine.
OSX and Windows
1. Download the Foundry License Utility (FLU)
2. Run the FLU as Administrator or as a Root user.
NOTE: On Windows you can run the FLU as administrator by using the right click context menu option 'Run as administrator'.
3. Run the FLU on the client machine and paste the following line into the License Install tab:
HOST <server name> any 4101
replacing <server name> with the hostname of your server, e.g.
HOST red any 4101
1. Download and unzip the Foundry License Utility (FLU)
2. Open a terminal and browser to the directory location where you unzipped the FLU download.
3. Run the following command as a Root user:
./FoundryLicenseUtility -c 4101@<server_name>
replacing <server_name> with the hostname of your licence server, e.g.
./FoundryLicenseUtility -c 4101@red
The FLU will create both an RLM and FLEXlm client licence
This will install a client licence file on disk enabling the machine to get a licence from the server.
Using an environment variable
As an alternative to creating a client license file you can set an environment variable called "foundry_LICENSE" to point toward the server. For example, if your licenses are running on port 4101 on a server machine called "red" then you would set
For help with setting environment variables please see Q100015: How To Set Environment Variables
Please refer to the Foundry Licensing Tools User Guide for instructions on how to run the Foundry license tools and float licenses on your network.
Keywords: floating, license, installation, FLT, FLU
We're sorry to hear that!Please tell us why.